I find it harder to stay committed to a fitness routine in the summer. Maybe it's the 'lazy days' effect or the fact that it's beautiful outside and the last thing you want to do is be in a gym. However, whether we like it or not, fall is just around the corner and those old summer excuses won't fly much longer. My best friend introduced me to Refine Method. It is a fun and fresh way to get your body back into shape and after a few months sabbatical, I am looking forward to getting back into it.
- Powerful 60 minute classes
- Begins with 'Foam Rolling' which massages your muscles and gets them prepped for the workout– great but painful.
- 3 circuits of resistance training using a unique pulley system mixed with high-intensity cardio.
- Cool down at the end of class includes healing stretches, cool vibey music and usually a quick supported stretch from the teacher (which sometimes feels like a mini massage).
- Small class sizes (ranging from as little as 4 people to 15) provide immediate individual attention.
- Two locations:
- Downtown in Union Square
- Both locations offer classes 7 days a week at various times.
- Different packages are offered to assist your budget.
Get ready to jump, lunge, punch, sprint, and plank all on a mat while barefoot. You sweat bullets, but it's fine since the class is usually an intimate group of girls who are all focused on the method. The music is fun and the teachers are all energetic, supportive and really knowledgeable.
- Fitness newbies may want to ease into it and stay clear of adding kettle bells to certain moves
- Attire: barefoot works best and wear yoga style clothing so you can move without feeling uncomfortable
- Bring your own water or buy it there ($1)
- There are lockers for you to store your stuff but bring your own lock
Explore more at: Refine Method
or read a detailed interview with Brynn herself: Refine Method Interview
Refine Method now has a brand spanking new location:
Upper West Side:
117 West 72nd Street
(Between Columbus and Broadway, rear lobby)
*Their Union Square location has been closed.
*Please also note that they are now introducing their new 'custom designed equipment' which require sneakers instead of the usual barefoot approach.