I first heard about washing your face with honey from Elena Brower. She has beautiful skin so when she mentioned it, I had to see what that was all about. Like I do with all Kitchen Cupbbard skincare product, I made sure to buy the highest grade (organic, virgin/raw and unrefined) brand I could find. My local grocery store had this one and I also liked that it was crystallized (for a gentle exfoliating boost).
Why do I wash my face with honey you ask?
- It's 100% natural. That means no chemicals, toxins, preservatives, additives, etc.
- Leaves my skin soft and balanced...not stripped.
- It's a natural anti-bacterial. Honey helps fight pimples naturally. As a matter of fact, if you have a pimple, just dab a little honey on it and leave it there for 15-20 minutes- like a treatment. It won't disappear right away but it'll help kill the bacteria that makes them worse.
- As you know from this post, I love face washes that help me multi task. After spreading the honey over your face...why not keep it on a bit while you lotion your body (before your skin get's dry). It's a mini-mask built into your routine.
Sound good? Here's how I do it:
- Step 1: Wet your entire face and hands (must, or it will stick)
- Step 2: Scoop a tablespoon of honey into your palm
- Step 3: Like a balm cleanser, rub the honey all over your face. It'll quickly soften and become more liquidy. If your honey is crystallized, let those crystals gently exfoliate your skin while you massage your face in circular motions.
- Step 4: Wash off with warm water (you'll see that it comes off super easy)
- Step 5: Splash with cool water
- Step 6: Tone...preferably with the cotton pad method (vs. spray). This will help you get any left over honey off.
- Step 7: Serum, Face Oil, Moisturizer, etc.
Easy, cheap, natural. That's what I call good, clean fun.